Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Minion chaos!

I was recently asked to make a Minion, from "Despicable Me" for someone's birthday.  At first I thought, "Sure, that should be easy!"  Even after looking at pictures of minion cakes, and the pictures they sent me, and hearing what exactly they wanted, I was still very confident.  I had the design figured out both in my head and on paper, there would be no concerns, so I thought... then baking day came!

I baked all the layers I needed... five 6" layers for the body, and a 1/2 a ball layer for the rounded head.  Looking good, so far!  They layers were alternating vanilla and banana, luckily I had a surplus of bananas in the freezer :)

Once all my layers were cooled, I levelled and stacked them.  THAT is when the panic set in!  My minion was TOO skinny!  What was I going to do??  I had no more bananas, was low on other ingredients, it was late enough (10pm, at least) that my kids were all in bed, and my husband was far away on a trip so I couldn't just "run out" and get more supplies!  I sat on the couch, googling pictures of minions as my face got hotter and hotter as the panic grew and grew, my ears were even burning and I felt sick to my stomach! :(  Then, it happened, I saw a picture of many of the minions and some were short, some were tall, some had 1 eye, some had 2, some were fat, some were SKINNY!!!!  IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE OK!!!??  So, I decided to take a break, covered the cake in the yellow fondant, then set it aside for the night and tackle it again after a, hopefully, good night's sleep!

The next morning I set to work.  The more I added to that minion, the better it looked!  After he was finally completed, he had become one of my newest favorites!!!  All that panic was for nothing... my husband always tells me I get too worked up about stuff, I guess he was right, for once! ;)


First night... will it work?!

 
Once his eye/goggle was added, things started looking up! (pun was just a happy coincidence!)

 
I was asked to make him holding a banana... such a cute little banana!!


Almost done!!


Added in his hair (I decided on 3 hairs because it was for a 3rd birthday!) and he's all done!!



 
The only thing I would have changed, is either the style of mouth I gave him, or a way to make his mouth a little more prominent.  He's perfectly fine as is, but since the fondant was already drying I couldn't make as deep of a mouth indent as I would have liked because the fondant start to crack.
 
All in all, though, I think he turned out AMAZING!!!  And am SO happy with him! :)

3 comments:

  1. I think he is amazing, too! And I LOVE that banana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an excellent job on this Minion cake. When i saw the final picture, you nailed it perfect is all i can say. awesome job looks right out of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an excellent job on this Minion cake. When i saw the final picture, you nailed it perfect is all i can say. awesome job looks right out of the movie.

    ReplyDelete